Monday 21 March 2011

Time to put the sock drawer away....at last.

Its been 6 weeks since injury stopped me from running, but I now feel im back on the road fell to recovery.

I stuck to my plan of not running at all for four weeks and over the last 2 weeks I have  been jogging very slowly on the local football pitches, not very far, between 3 and 4 miles at a time. Each time the leg was still sore but nothing like it was, I convinced myself it was just grumbling after being so inactive for a while and on Saturday I gave it its biggest test yet, the Coledale Horseshoe.

So Saturday at 6.30am at Braithwaite and with clear blue sky's I had the whole Horseshoe to myself. I did plan to walk it all and that was still my intention on the eye opening climb of Grisedale Pike. Once on the top though with views as far as the eye could see I couldn't help running..... and running, and running.

Hopegill, Eel Crag, Sail, Outerside and Barrow was all ticked off and if I was worried what the leg would feel like after it, or the next day there was no need to be as the the leg feels fine today (2 days later) apart from very, very stiff quads.
The rest of the week I will continue to run on the flat grass of the football pitches and venture out onto the fells again at the weekend.


It might be some time before I tackle the roads again though.

3 comments:

kate said...

yeh, i always blame the road running too ;) good to hear you sounding positive again and getting back out there

AlexD said...

Good to see you back out there. Great photos.

ultra collie said...

stu..didn't realise that you were out of action too. but what a great route to welcome you back. marvellous. as kate says..leave the road to others!