Tuesday 23 March 2010

Middlefell Fell Race

46 miles run last week but I feel like im not putting enough climb/effort in those miles, maybe taking it a bit easy and not pushing myself hard enough.
On Saturday I made the trip over to Nether Wasdale and the Screes Inn for Middlefell Fell Race at 6.6mile/1750f it would prove a welcome distraction for me.
About 50 runners lined up at the start where you run along lanes and fields for the first mile or so until you reached Greendale and the fell bottom .
I was soon in my running stride and settled in about 10th position for the steep climb up the fell. I made a couple of places up on the climb but lost a place to Jackie Winn  about half way up where we had a brief discussion about the bg, he also said he would show me a quick line off the fell. I turned at the summit about 50 yards behind him but he was gone. ( Thats what I call a quick line)
I had quite a good descent passing one other runner (ok his quads had ceased up but hey ho). I was looking forward to the long run in thinking I might catch another runner about 200 yards in front of me, but running along the bottom I soon realised I was stuck at one speed. Maybe not such a good idea of avoiding  Alan's speed sessions on a club nigh now.
I managed to hold on for 9th place, my 3rd top 10 this year  so happy with that. The race tho was dominated by Keswick who had 3 in the top 4 and are looking strong for the year ahead. It was good to see Ian Davis back in good form too.


I plan to get back on the bg trail next week.


Monday          rest
Tuesday         rest
Wednesday    8 mile fell run
Thursday        9 mile road run inc 8 x200m hill reps (had forgotten how hard these are)
Friday            rest
Saturday        Middlefell Fell Race
Sunday          22 mile fell run

2 comments:

Ian Davies said...

Well done on your race Stu. You should have stayed for the presentation as you were 1st MV40 - congratulations! Steve Hebb. has your prize (some wine). If you're at Causey he'll give it to you then.

Stu Stod said...

Thanks Ian.
I couldn't make Causey and don't think I will be racing much between now and may29th. You fellas are more then welcome to it.
PS what you doing on the night of may 28th???
my email is stustod@live.co.uk