Wednesday 9 September 2009

Blencathra Fell Run

Last night I had a slow wet miserable run up to Arthur's Pike, my first run since Ben Nevis. Tonight, however was the complete opposite, clear blue sky and good running.

Decided earlier on with Steve that we would run up Blencthra, parking at Scales and descend via Halls Fell (part of the bg route).

We were met at the car park unexpectedly by Shaun (another Eden runner) so all 3 of us set off . As with most runs the chit chat is always good but it soon falls off when the climbing starts and i was soon struggling. The last time I ran this route I had to walk with hands on knees from the zig zags (3/4 of the way up), whilst Steve ran it all, beating me by a minute. Tonight was to be the same but this time narrowing the gap to 30 seconds. Why does it always feel like a race?

On the summit and the views were fantastic from all sides. On training runs like these you really do take time to appreciate the views .

When on top, we thought it would make a change to run towards bannerdale and and then drop down to Scales Tarn and follow the path back to Scales Fell and back to the cars. We soon were racing down blue screes, me keen to show off my new descending skills picked up from Ben Nevis, which took me by surprise as well as Steve and Shaun, it must of been a fluke!

Good crack on the way down listening to Steve and Shaun's tales of the Grisedale Horseshoe that they had ran in the previous weekend, by all accounts the weather had been worse than that at Fort William.
5.5 miles

No comments: