Tuesday 8 February 2011

Stressed

For the last 4/5 weeks I have been troubled by a pain in my left leg, on the outside above the ankle. It hasn't stopped me running but it has been very tender to touch.

After the Pennine relays it was very sore, so I took 5 days off running.

On Saturday I met Steve Bennett and had a good fell run, covering 18 miles and over 3300 ft of climb. I felt good and felt strong after it and could easily of carried on, my leg was hurting, but no more then the last few weeks.

Sunday I foolishly met Steve Angus for a 9 mile road run which included 2x12 minutes hard. This Hurt, a lot, and I struggled to keep up with Steve on the second rep, but then again I would of struggled even without a sore leg!

During the afternoon it was tender and sore even when I was sitting down and decided I would make an appointment with Ray Pescod, whom I got see today.

He confirmed my worst fears - Stress Fracture.

I cant say that I was surprised, as I have had a hairline stress fracture before on my other leg in exactly the same place , but what did surprise was that he thought it might be healing because he could feel a very small lump where he thought the bone was moulding again.

The last time I carried on running though until I could hardly walk before I got it seen to.
The last time I kept trying to run before it was fully healed.
The last time I was out of running for 10-12 weeks.

Ray told me no more running at all on the roads, but said that I could do 3-4 mile of very light jogging on grass twice a week, but I have decided to stop altogether until the pain/tenderness has disappeared altogether. I'm hoping if I do this I might be running again in 5-6 weeks. A real shame and I cant pretend that im not pissed off, I am, but I have got to be sensible.

It  means that I will miss Buttermere Round this Sunday and Haweswater Half next month, both events that I was hoping to set PBs in.
Hopefully I will be fit for the 3 peaks in April, fingers crossed.

It also means that I wont have owt to blog about so things might go a bit quite on here for a while.

A friend of mine who blogs was out of running for 8 weeks and continued blogging.
One day he blogged about his sock drawer!!!!!!!
I will try and resist such temptation!

Also Sue thinks she is getting the house decorated!!!

Happy running !

11 comments:

Nick said...

Get well soon Stu. A bit of early patience will reap dividends later on and you will be back strong for 3P. Where fractures are concerned, if it's painful, don't do it. I was amazed how quickly I recovered from my broken metatarsal by following this rule exactly one year ago.
I think a bit of decorating is ideal to keep you occupied and healing. Sue will be pleased. :-)

Reeds Runners said...

Steve knew what he was doing on that 9 mile thrash, removing some of his competition for the Buttermere 20...

If you need any advice on how to avoid running for weeks on end, let me know. It's easy.

A drawer purely for socks !!! By 'eck what a luxury.

4 Winds said...

Socks?! You were lucky........

You'll be back in no time - think I would draw the line at extreme decorating,though....

Ian Davies said...

Tough luck Stu, you've been going really well lately. Wishing you a speedy recovery and looking forward to some good racing come the spring.

Paul Rhodes said...

sorry to hear it, hate injuries, takes more endurance than running for sure....im from sydney but originally from Bury, Lancashire many years ago, 'owt' brings back memories

Anonymous said...

Hi Stu,
Just stumbled across your blog again, sorry to hear you're injured but sounds like you've been flying lately so hopefully won't hold you up too much. No doubt will be seeing you once the spring comes round and I start heading down towards the lakes again. Got a big one at Keilder on Sunday then hopefully recover in time to do High Cup Nick. Don't see any mention of Askham in the events listings, is it taking place this year?
Cheers
Keith M

AlexD said...

Sorry to hear about it Stu, but bloody impressive that you've been running with a broken leg for weeks-- one to tell the grandchildren

dobo said...

hope your up and running soon mate, well done with the cross country series. Missed you at Carlisle on sunday, i went right from work done the four laps no problems with the feet this time not like Keswick, well chuffed.

Howard said...

Hope you get better soon and are back racing. Good to see you at Buttermere round even if you were not able to race – used your time last year as a target for mine this year! Look forward to racing against you again soon and maybe do some BGR reccy runs too. Glad to see you are being positive

Stu Stod said...

Thanks for all your comments -
Keith, the Askham race is off this year, but back next, hope to see you soon mate!

Andy sharples said...

Get mended soon Stu, nowt worse than wanting to do stuff you can't. Its difficult to put paint on evenly when your weight's not evenly distributed (from my extensive ''excuses not to do something'' list)!