Sunday 27 March 2011

A step in the right direction

"Lakelander" Nick
Another week in and another week of steady improvement although im finding it all a lot harder then I did 7 weeks ago.
After last weekends run on the fells it took me 3 days to recover before I could run again, my thighs were like concrete and even walking was a struggle.
On Wednesday evening I parked at Roe head expecting  a slow run up to Arthur's Pike, little did I realise that Steve and Sam would be there too, so instead of a slow/steady 1500ft run I ended up running a very fast/tough 10 mile 2600ft battering instead. Steve and Sam have got stronger over the last few weeks and its going to be hard work to get anywhere near them for a while yet, if at all.

Saturday I again parked at Braithwaite and ran on the north western fells.
Grisedale again prooved to be tough but I was pleased to run it all up to the final scrambles. From Grisedale I ran continuesly for the next 2 hours taking in;
Hopegill Head    (twice)
Whiteside
Sand hill
Grasmoor
Eel Crag
Sail
Scar Crags
Causey Pike
looking back up Hopegill and Grisedale
Crummock Water
Sail and Eel Crag


From Causey Pike I ran down to the road at Stair, where fell runners were mingling and getting ready to run the Causey Pike fell race.

I didn't envy them at all, as they streamed past me for the climb of Rowling End.

Met up with Steve Angus (who was again taking some top quality photographs) and then went to the beck crossing to watch them come back down.

Rob Jebb and Pippa Maddams were the winners.

A run along the road back to Braithwaite completed a very enjoyable day.
Look closely for the ants on Causey Pike
follow the leader
Rob Jebb
Pippa Maddams

 a few more photos on my my flickr

2 comments:

ultra collie said...

good to hear you're going up (and down) still..nice route..causey's a favourite of mine as its usually deserted

Nick said...

... but not on the 27th March 2011, Dave.

Stu, it's good to hear you're coming back from the injury. It sounds as though you had a good day out on the fells to build the strength back. Our paths must have crossed because I was at Causey Pike, my first ever visit to those parts. You took some great pictures. You got me in some of them. I'm leading the pack in the blow-up at the end of the album, where the chap two places back looks as though he's breathing his last.